Fire Restriction - Effective July 19, 2017.
Due to the following conditions the Manager of Fire & Emergency Services for the County of Newell, in conjunction with County of Newell Fire Bylaw #1839-15 has issued "A Fire Restriction” for the entire County of Newell:
· Fine fuels moisture content is low.
· Wind speeds exceeding safe burning conditions at times.
· Lack of sufficient moisture levels to reduce the fire risk.
· Heat wave conditions gripping Southern Alberta including the County of Newell, temperatures are high and contributing to drying conditions.For more information, click HERE
Fire Ban Definitions
- A Fire Advisory – Fires are allowed, but public warning advising of extreme caution is issued. This level is a warning and may be upgraded to a Fire Restriction or Fire Ban if conditions do not improve.
- A Fire Restriction – No Fires except for approved gas or propane cooking appliances or portable propane fire pits or campfires in designated fire sites within approved campgrounds.
- A Fire Ban – No Fires, except for approved gas or propane cooking appliances.
What Can You Expect During a Fire Ban
- "A Fire Ban" - Several Fire Ban in Effect signs are posted at entrances to the County of Newell; a news release is sent out to the local media outlets; Ads may be run in the local media; a notification on the Alberta Fire Bans website is posted. Notification will also be posted on the County website and all social media accounts.
- "A Fire Restriction" - Refer to "A Fire Ban" mentioned above.
- "A Fire Advisory" - A news release is sent to the local media; ads may be run in the local media, and a notification on the Alberta Fire Bans website is posted. Notification will also be posted on the County website and all social media channels.