The County of Newell Municipal Election will be held on Monday, October 16, 2017. Nomination Day is September 18, 2017.
Qualifications of Candidates
- at least 18 years old
- is a Canadian citizen;
- has been a resident of the local jurisdiction and the ward, if any, for the 6 consecutive months immediately preceding nomination day; and
- is not otherwise ineligible or disqualified.
Registration of Candidates
Prospective candidates for the 2017 County of Newell Municipal Election are reminded that prior to accepting any campaign contributions they must register with the County of Newell. The Application for Registration of Notice of Intent to Become a Candidate for Municipal Office (Form 3A) may be obtained here.
Candidate Information Guide
The 2017 Municipal Election Candidate Information Guide is now available for citizens considering running for office in the County of Newell municipal election. It can be viewed and printed by clicking here or a paper copy can be picked up at the County of Newell Office. Information includes: duties and responsibilities of elected officials, candidate qualifications, campaign requirements, nomination process, division maps, forms and other election details and resource materials.
Free candidate training is available to through the Society of Local Government Managers (SLGM) and Municipal Affairs. Click here to register
Candidates are responsible to ensure they are in compliance with the Local Authorities Election Act.
If you have any questions regarding the election process, please direct them to the Returning Officer.
- File an Application for Registration of Notice of Intent to Become a Candidate for Municipal Office (Form 3A) if campaign contributions will be accepted and provide authorization for the release of name and intent to submit nomination papers (Form CN02), if desired.
- Nomination Paper must contain signatures from at least 5 electors eligible to vote. Nominators must live within the division in which the Councillor candidate is running.
- Read all required sections of the Local Authorities Election Act needed to complete the Nomination Paper and Candidate’s Acceptance (Form 3).
- Appoint an Official Agent on the nomination form, if desired.
- Sign the Nomination Paper and Candidate’s Acceptance (Form 3) in front of a Commissioner for Oaths if it will be filed by someone other than the candidate on nomination day or in front of the Returning Officer on Nomination Day - September 18, 2017.
- Nomination Paper and Candidate’s Acceptance Forms will be received at the County of Newell office on September 18, 2017 between the hours of 10:00 am and 12:00 noon. Forms cannot be submitted any earlier or later than the times listed and must be presented in person. Faxed or emailed copies will not be accepted.
- Complete and return the Release of Candidate Information (Form CN02) on nomination day.
- Candidates and Official Agents that will require access to residences in a building containing two or more residences or to each residence in a mobile home park will need to submit the Enumerator, Candidate or Official Agent Proof of Identification for Section 52 Access (Form 7A) to the Returning Officer for signature to meet these identification requirements.
- A Campaign Disclosure Statement and Financial Statement (Form 21) must be provided to the municipality by March 1, 2018 if campaign contributions were accepted.
- If no campaign contributions were accepted and the Application for Registration of Notice of Intent to Become a Candidate for Municipal Office was not completed by the candidate, a Self-Funded Campaign – Statement (Form CN01) must be submitted to the County of Newell by March 1, 2018 to confirm that the campaign was entirely self-funded and the candidate is therefore not required to file a Campaign Disclosure Statement and Financial Statement.