Get a License or Permit?

Text Sizer

  • font sizeA
  • A
  • A


The County of Newell does not require or issue business licenses in the same way that urban municipalities do, such as the City of Brooks. 

If you live in the County and wish to operate a business from your residence on your property, you will need to obtain a home occupation development permit.

If you will be operating a business from a non-residential (commercial or industrial) parcel in the County, you will need a development permit and possibly a building permit.

Because of the variability of businesses in the County, it would be best if you contacted the County Planning and Development Department for further information and to go over the requirements for your business. 

If you live in a municipality other than the County of Newell (i.e. Brooks, Bassano, Duchess, Rosemary, Tilley) and wish to conduct business in the County, you don't need a business license from the County, but you may need a business license wherever your business is based. Contact the relevant municipality for further information.


The process for obtaining construction permits is regulated by the Alberta Safety Codes Council. The Safety Codes Council derives its authority from the Safety Codes Act and the Minister of Municipal Affairs.

Through the Safety Codes Council, the County was accredited in March 2011 to issue permits for all 5 construction disciplines – building, electrical, gas, plumbing, and septic. This means that landowners are able to obtain construction permits from the County office, rather than from an agency outside the County’s boundaries.

The County has also contracted an inspection agency, Park Enterprises, to provide support and certified inspectors to review and inspect work carried out under these permits.

By providing in-house construction permits and contracted inspections, the County has reduced the cost of these permits to the landowner. At the same time, the County is ensuring that structures are being built according to the Alberta Building Code.

As of February 1, 2014, all dwellings must be entered into the registry at  The register number must be provided to the municipality before a building permit can be issued.  More information can be obtained from their website.