Regular meetings of the Municipal Planning Commission are held beginning at 10:00 a.m. on the Thursday of the first full week of each month and the second Thursday after that.
Council meetings are held immediately following the Municipal Planning Commission meetings. The minutes of Council, Municipal Planning Commission, and other meetings are available here.
Council meeting agenda packages will be available the morning of the meeting.
DelegationsAll MPC and Council meetings are open to the public, so feel free to join us in Council Chambers to listen to the proceedings!
Please note the following:
- Council does not have an obligation to hear any delegation.
- The Chairman welcomes delegates.
- The Chairman advises that 15 minutes have been set aside and suggests 5 minutes for the presentation and 10 minutes for questions from Council.
- After the delegation process is complete, Council may take any action necessary which arises from the delegation.
Public HearingsPublic hearings will be advertised and are generally held during the first meeting of a month beginning at 11:30 a.m.
The regular procedures for Public Hearings are as follows:
- The Chairman calls the hearing to order.
- The Secretary states the purpose of the public hearing (e.g. Land Use Amendment – SW 1-2-3-4 from Agricultural to Country Residential).
- An Administrative staff member will provide a summary of the matter to be heard.
- The Chairman will state the procedures which must be followed:
- Any individual wishing to speak must first be recognized by the Chair.
- Once recognized, they MUST state their name before beginning their presentation.
- ALL statements will be directed to Council.
- The applicant will be given five (5) minutes to present their case.
- Anyone else speaking
in favourwill be given three (3) minutes to make a presentation. Members of the public will be allowed to speak only once except to answer questions from Council.
- Council may ask questions of the applicant or speakers in favour.
- Members of the public opposed will be given three (3) minutes to present their case and provide a rebuttal to the presentation of the applicant and anyone else speaking
in favourof the proposal. Members of the public will be allowed to speak only once except to answer questions from Council.
- Council may ask questions of the public again.
- The applicant will be given three minutes for a rebuttal.
- The public hearing is adjourned. Council goes back into the regular Council Meeting and may make their decision regarding the issue which required the hearing.
When are Council meetings held?
Meetings begin after the Municipal Planning Commission Meeting is done. This usually is shortly after 10 a.m. in the County of Newell Chambers.
Are Council Meetings open to the public?
Yes. You are welcome to attend all regular Council meetings in their entirety or you may wish to stay for just an item that interests you.
How can I contact a member of Council?
County of Newell Council is very interested in your ideas and suggestions. With participation from local citizens, Council is better prepared to make informed decisions on policies and bylaws for the County of Newell residents. Councillors are accessible by phone, email or by mail at the County Office
Which Council member should I contact?
You are encouraged to discuss all matters with your local
Will issues discussed with a Councillor automatically be placed on a meeting agenda?
No. If you wish to have a matter considered at a Council meeting you need to contact the Executive Assistant to get it placed on the agenda which
If I have made a request to have an item placed on the agenda what happens next?
The Executive Assistant will advise you of the date and approximate time your issue will be discussed. If you wish to be a delegation please follow the process for delegations above. If you do not choose to make a presentation at the meeting you may still want to be available to answer questions that Council may have. If you are unable to attend the meeting your item will still be discussed. You will be advised by email (if provided) or by letter of Council's decision regarding your issue.
Can I get a copy of the meeting agenda?
Yes, meeting agendas will be made available to the public the morning of the meeting and are available for download here.