When are school and playground zones in effect, and what is the speed limit?
- School zones have a speed limit of 30km/h. These limits are in effects from 8:00am – 9:30am; 11:30am – 1:30pm and 3:00pm – 4:30pm unless otherwise posted.
- Playground zones have a speed limit of 30km/h unless otherwise posted. These limits are in effect from 8:30am to one hour after sunset 7 days a week.
Facts to know:
- Nearly half of the other drivers involved in collisions with school buses committed a driver error. The top five errors were:
- Following too closely
- Committing a stop sign violation
- Making an improper lane change
- Making an improper turn
- Unsafely backing up
- Follow the bus safety rules
- Be alert at intersections
- Always wear your helmet when riding your bike
Key Messages for Drivers:
- Always watch for children crossing the roads
- Do NOT pass another vehicle while in a school/playground zone
- Slow down when you see alternating amber lights (the bus is slowing down)
- Stop when the school bus activates its red flashing lights
- Know and obey the speed limits in and around school and playground zones
For more information visit: www.saferoads.com