The County of Newell Municipal Election will be held on Monday, October 18, 2021. Nomination Day is September 20, 2021.
Qualifications of Candidates
- at least 18 years old
- is a Canadian citizen;
- has been a resident of the local jurisdiction and the ward, if any, for the 6 consecutive months immediately preceding nomination day; and
- is not otherwise ineligible or disqualified.
Candidate Information Guide
The 2021 Municipal Election Candidate Information Guide is now available for citizens considering running for office in the County of Newell municipal election. It can be viewed and printed by clicking here or a paper copy can be picked up at the County of Newell Office. Information includes: duties and responsibilities of elected officials, candidate qualifications, campaign requirements, nomination process, division maps, forms and other election details and resource materials.
Candidates are responsible to ensure they are in compliance with the Local Authorities Election Act.
If you have any questions regarding the election process, please direct them to the Returning Officer.
- Nomination Paper must contain signatures from at least 5 electors eligible to vote. Nominators must live within the division in which the Councillor candidate is running.
- Read all required sections of the Local Authorities Election Act needed to complete the Nomination Paper and Candidate’s Acceptance (Form 4).
- Appoint an Official Agent on the nomination form, if desired.
- Sign the Nomination Paper and Candidate’s Acceptance (Form 4) in front of a Commissioner for Oaths if it will be filed by someone other than the candidate or in front of the Returning Officer if filed at the County office.
- Nomination Paper and Candidate’s Acceptance Forms will be accepted at the County of Newell office beginning January 4, 2021 until 12:00 noon on September 20, 2021 during regular office hours.
- When filing Nomination Papers, candidates will also be required to submit Candidate Information (Form 5), which confirms locations where candidate records are maintained as well as the names and addresses of financial institutions where campaign contributions will be deposited, along with the name of signing authorities for the depository accounts.
- Complete and return the Release of Candidate Information (Form CN02) when submitting your Nomination Paper and Candidates Acceptance Form.
- Candidates and Official Agents that will require access to residences in a building containing two or more residences or to each residence in a mobile home park will need to submit the Enumerator, Candidate or Official Agent Proof of Identification for Section 52 Access (Form 11) to the Returning Officer for signature to meet these identification requirements.
- A Campaign Disclosure Statement and Financial Statement (Form 26) must be provided to the municipality by March 1, 2022 and must be completed by ALL candidates .
Click below for additional resources for candidates and potential candidates
The Rural Municipalities of Alberta (RMA) has compiled useful information for candidates and potential candidates for municipal office.