- A Fire Advisory – Fires are allowed, but public warning advising of extreme caution is issued. This level is a warning and may be upgraded to a Fire Restriction or Fire Ban if conditions do not improve.
- A Fire Restriction – All fires including: low hazard (family style fireworks), exploding targets, burning barrels, charcoal briquettes, sky lanterns, and incinerators are not allowed. All existing Fire Permits are immediately suspended, and no new permits will be issued.
The following fires are allowed during a Fire Restriction period:
- approved gas or propane cooking appliances;
- portable propane fire pits;
- recreational fire pits; campfires burning within designated fire containment units located within approved campgrounds; and,
- wood pellet fully contained smokers
- A Fire Ban – No fires are allowed including: recreational fire pits, fireworks, exploding targets, burning barrels, charcoal briquettes, wood pellet based fully contained smokers and sky lanterns.
The following can be operated during fire ban periods.
- approved gas or propane cooking appliances.
- portable propane fire pits.
What Can You Expect During a Fire Ban
- "A Fire Ban" - Several Fire Ban in Effect signs are posted at entrances to the County of Newell; a news release is sent out to the local media outlets; ads may be run in the local media; and, notification on the Alberta Fire Bans website is posted. Notification will also be posted on the County website and all social media accounts.
- "A Fire Restriction" - Refer to "A Fire Ban" mentioned above.
- "A Fire Advisory" - A news release is sent to the local media; ads may be run in the local media; and, a notification on the Alberta Fire Bans website is posted. Notification will also be posted on the County website and all social media channels.
County of Newell
Downgraded to Fire Advisory
Thursday, September 16th, 2021
Due to the improvement of fire risk conditions, the Rural Fire & Emergency Services Coordinator for the County of Newell, in conjunction with County of Newell Fire Bylaw #1958-19 has downgraded the Fire Restriction to a Fire Advisory for the County of Newell.
Fire Guardians will now be able to issue new fire permits.
County Residents are reminded that a signed fire permit is required prior to kindling fires on lands. Fire permits can be obtained at the County of Newell office during normal business hours. All permit holders are required to contact your local Fire Department prior to lighting the fire and follow all recommendations / conditions stated on the permit without exception. Failure to follow the permit conditions may result in fines.
Note: The lifting of this Fire Restriction does not affect/cover the following properties contained within the boundaries of the County of Newell: City of Brooks, Town of Bassano, Village of Duchess, Village of Rosemary, Provincial Parks and/or First Nations Reserves.
To see a list of all fire bans within the Province, visit www.albertafirebans.ca.
For further information please contact:
Rural Fire & Emergency Services Coordinator
Fire & Safety Services Administrative Assistant