The Land Use Bylaw categorizes each parcel of land into zoning districts, which directs the types of development and the uses for the parcels of land. Rezoning is the process of changing the category of zoning for your parcel of land.
There are two situations in which you may want to rezone:
- You wish to develop or use your land in a way that is not allowable under your current zone
- You wish to subdivide your land into parcels used for a different purpose
A rezoning application may accompany a subdivision or a development permit application.
- Download or Pickup Application: Applicants are encouraged to download or pick up a copy of the appropriate permit application form and review it to ensure they understand all the information that will be required to submit an application.
- Fill Out Application: Once you have reviewed the Land Use Bylaw and verified your need to re-zone, fill out the application package with as much information as you can.
- Pre-Application Meeting: We understand that some applicants may not be familiar with the process or terminology used in development and we are always available to assist in completing permit applications. If you require assistance book an appointment by contacting the Planning and Development Department.
- Application Submitted: The application is submitted with the necessary forms, fees and supporting information which varies depending on the project. Once all required information has been received the application will be deemed complete.
- Council Considers First Reading: A package will be prepared and placed on the next available Council agenda. The re-zoning will be presented to Council and they will give first reading to the bylaw amendment.
- Advertisement: The proposed amendment is circulated to adjacent landowners, referral agencies, and other parties with interest to the title, and advertised publicly. Notice is given for the public hearing, where Council invites the public to share any concerns they may have at a future Council meeting.
- Public Hearing: The Public hearing takes place, and Council hears any concerns from the public.
- Second and Third Reading: If Council is satisfied that the amendment is in the best interest of the public they will grand second and third reading. Once completed the bylaw is passed and the land use re-zoning is complete. You may now proceed with your development or subdivision.
The below flow chart outlines the typical process.