Use of Undeveloped Road Allowances

Road closures in Alberta are regulated under Division 2 of the Municipal Government Act. In particular, road closures must follow procedures provided in Section 22 of the Act:

  1. No road in a municipality that is subject to the direction, control and management of the municipality may be closed except by bylaw.
  2. A bylaw closing a road must be advertised.
  3. A bylaw closing a road made by the council of a municipality that is not a city has no effect unless it is approved by the Minister of Infrastructure before the bylaw receives second reading.
  4. Before passing a bylaw closing a road, a person who claims to be affected prejudicially by the bylaw or that person’s agent must be given an opportunity to be heard by the council.

What is an Undeveloped Road Allowance

Am I using an Undeveloped Road Allowance?

Road Allowance Closure Process

Official Website of the County of Newell

Site Map